Serves two. This recipe can be made from staples and canned ingredients, so you don't have to have gone to the grocery store recently. And if you're willing to drop the simmering time (which I frequently am), it can be made quickly too.
- half a cup of chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- a couple squirts of bottled lemon juice
- half a pound of ground beef (approximate)
- 1 can kidney beans, with juice
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1.5 tablespoons chili powder (or more if you like it hotter)
- 2 tablespoons water
- half a cup of frozen corn (optional)
Saute the onions in the margarine and lemon juice until soft. Add the ground beef and brown. Drain. Add the kidney beans (with their juice) and tomato soup, and set to simmer over medium heat. Make a paste of the salt, flour, chili powder, and water, and add to the chili. Simmer for 45 minutes, adding water as necessary to maintain the right consistency. Add corn a few minutes before serving. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped onions, etc.
Return to Dianne's recipe page!
Return to Dianne's home page!
Copyright 2002 by Dianne Reis.